- In Genoa try the Pesto (it was invented there)
- Naples invented pizza, especially the Pizza Margherita
- Try the Bolognese sauce and filled pastas (ravioli, tortellini, lasagna) in Bologna
- Risotto alla Milanese and Ossobucco in Milano
- In Rome try their Spaghetti alla Carbonara, Spaghetti all'Amatriciana and lamb
- In the Northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto try Gnocchi, Bresaola, Polenta and tiramisù
- Prosciutto di Parma is best in central and northern Italy
- In Puglia have the Altamura bread and the Orecchiette (little ears) pasta
- In Abruzzo, you should try Crespelle, savory Italian crepes
- In Basilicata, the Minestra Maritata is a soup with both meat and vegetables
- In Calabria try their Pitta bread--a type of flatbread stuffed with peppers, tomatoes and herbs
- In the Marche, try Porchetta, a spit-roasted pig that has been stuffed with herbs.
- In Sicily, try the Cuscus, Arancini (rice balls) or Bottarga (dried fish roe)
- In Sardinia, have some of their Pasta with Lobster or Bottarga
- In Tuscany you have to try the Wild Boar Stew
So, you see, the variety of "Italian Food" is what's great about touring Italy. You will never tire of just pasta and pizza. Italian cuisine is a lot more than that...
If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it on your favorite social media site! Grazie!